What Are Wood Flowers?
The wood flowers I use to make wedding decor and bouquets are made from the root of a plant called aeschynomene aspera. But I don’t know of anyone that walks around calling it that. Instead, we call it sola. These flowers have a cork or foam feel to them, they are completely natural and weigh next to nothing. You might notice knots or veins in the flower petals — that’s actually from the root of the plant itself. And just like real flowers, the knots and veins add a level of authenticity to your bouquet and decor.
How Are They Made?
I don’t personally make the flowers, but I do customize each individual one to fit your wedding day vision. In their natural state, they are a white or cream color, and they can stay that way if you prefer. I can also dye them any color or combination of colors that you would like. From there, I arrange them to fit your wedding day preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tap each question to see the answer
- What flowers do you have?
I don’t have every available sola flower in stock, but that doesn’t mean I can’t get them for your order!
To see which flowers I typically keep in stock, please check out my flower options.
- What are your prices?
Everything I make is 100% custom, which means pricing varies wildly from order to order. You can expect similar pricing to real flowers, but keep in mind that wood flowers never die & you won’t have to pay anything additional to preserve your flowers!
Most of my couples who get personal flowers for their full wedding party and some decor pieces spend $2,000 – $3,000.
Interested in getting a quote? Start here!
- Can you send me samples?
Yes! I offer sample boxes flowers. Help! My wedding is next month and I need your flowers!With such short timelines, I may not be able to accommodate a full wedding order, but I can typically get a standard bouquet and boutonniere done. This includes using the flowers I have in stock already, so the choices may be limited and will vary from month to month.
Orders placed 1 month or less before the wedding date will include a 20% rush fee.
- Can I get flowers in my specific wedding colors?The flowers come to me in a natural, cream color. I can either leave them that color, or I can dye the flowers almost any color. A color swatch is all I need to get the flowers to be a near-perfect color match!
Please check out my previous color palettes for inspiration and to see what is possible.
- What are my options for handles?These can all be used for bouquets. Many can also be used for boutonniere stems:
Twine • Rope • Ribbon • Burlap • Lace • Fabric
- Do you offer wedding consultations?Yes! I offer free, 30 minute consultations via Zoom.
Please fill out my contact form and I be in touch to schedule a consultation!
- How far in advance do I need to book you for my wedding?I recommend booking me at least 3 months before your wedding date. If you have a very specific vision, I would recommend 6+ months, so that we can be sure there is enough time to acquire the necessary items.
- I wish I had known about this when I got married! Can you recreate bouquets?Yes and no. I can try to recreate bouquets to the best of my ability with available flowers and a good amount of photographs. The more photos (and angles!) the better.
Have more general questions about sola flowers? I wrote a whole blog post addressing common questions & concerns.
- Can I get flowers in my specific wedding colors?